Level 3 Certificate in Computerised Accounting for Business (in conjunction with Sage)
The Level 3 Certificate in Computerised Accounting for Business is a qualification from the International Association of Bookkeepers (IAB). It teaches you how to use Sage accounting software, the main accounting software used by business, and so will help you obtain a job or promotion in accounts or finance.
- Gain an accredited qualification
- Obtain a certificate of competence from Sage
- Can become a professional bookkeeper
- Improve your employability prospects
- Can work in small businesses
- could start your own business
- will update your knowledge of Sage accounting software
- Can use it for your Continuing Professional Development (CPD), and
- Could progress to a degree in computerised accounting while still working
Who is it for?
This qualification is for anyone who:
- Wants to find a job in accounts or finance
- Already works in accounts or finance and wants a promotion or to undertake continuing professional development
- plans to set up as a bookkeeper, as it is suitable for anyone wishing to produce period end financial statements for small businesses
- wants to learn how to use or update their knowledge of Sage accounting software
- is the owner of a small business, as it gives coverage of the wide range of tasks that can be carried out by Sage software
The IAB Level 3 Certificate in Computerised Accounting for Business (QCF qualification number 601/0482/x) consists of ten units which together total 20 credits:
- Principles of double entry bookkeeping (2 credits, QCF code A/601/0698)
- Principles of accounting for not for profit organizations (1 credit, QCF code Y/601/0725)
- Fundamentals of incomplete records (1 credit, QCF code A/601/0717)
- Fundamentals of bookkeeping and accounting for partnerships (1 credit, QCF code L/601/0723)
- Principles of preparing financial statements for sole traders (1 credit, QCF code R/601/0707)
- Principles of VAT (2 credits, QCF code A/505/1094)
- Principles of cash management (2 credits, QCF code R/600/4938)
- Cash management (3 credits, QCF code L/600/4940)
- Preparing and completing VAT returns (2 credits, QCF code J/600/4953)
- Computerised accounting software (5 credits, QCF code L/502/4403)
There are no formal entry requirements for the Level 3 Certificate in Computerised Accounting for Business. However, it is recommended that you will already have basic skills in numeracy, literacy and information technology and experience of using an accounting software package up to the Trial Balance. The successful completion of the IAB Level 2 Certificate in Computerised Accounting for Business would allow natural progression to this level 3 qualification.
What is included?
- One year of unlimited tutorial support
- Live or recorded lectures
- Bespoke course materials including printed workbooks from Sage and IAB
- A 180 day (i.e. six month) Sage 50 Accounts license
- Mock assessments
- IAB Assessment fees
- Six months’ IAB membership (required to take the IAB assessments)
- 24/7 access to the Teaching Zone
- Optional NUS card (additional cost) for UK based students – the definitive student discount card with a range of exclusive discounts
The qualification aims to:
- Act as enhanced understanding of financial record keeping and accounting using Sage accounting software within a double-entry accounting system.
- Give you the necessary skills to assess your own competence in carrying out a range of day-to-day computerised accounting routines and activities using Sage software. The activities will include entry of complex business transactions, and routine bookkeeping tasks including posting to ledgers and the preparation and use of journals, period end adjustments, VAT preparation, preparation of period end financial statements, amendments to charts of accounts.
- To assess your understanding of the importance of maintaining accuracy, security and data integrity in performing any bookkeeping tasks using Sage software as your computerised accounting system.
- Give you a greater understanding of the capabilities of the software and how it can enable better financial management and control of a business.
- Enable you to progress in your learning to further develop your knowledge, understanding and skills of dealing with financial transactions and preparation of period end financial statements by (a) gaining a Sage competence certificate at this level, (b) completing the units necessary to receive the Level 3 Certificate in Applied Bookkeeping or Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping (competence), (c) undertaking further studies of accounting routines at Level 3 and or (d) undertaking further studies of accounting at Level 4.
How do I study and how long does it take?
The qualification is taught online, so you can start at any time as you are not restricted by term times. You will receive your log in and password for the Teaching Zone as soon as we have received payment. All you need is Internet access!
It is designated by IAB as 136 guided learning hours which is the total time you are likely to spend studying including all your time spent on listening to the lectures, reading the online information, reading the workbooks, using the software, undertaking the exercises, discussions with other students and completing the assessments.
The time it takes in practice is up to you, and will vary depending on your commitment and how easy you find it to study. 136 hours is roughly:
Over twelve months – 23 minutes per day or three hours per week or 11 hours per month
Over six months – 45 minutes per day or eight hours per week or 23 hours per month
How is it assessed?
The qualification is assessed by seven paper knowledge tests and three assignments or work based evidences.